Posted by I Bike Fresno Tuesday, June 05, 2012
It’s a bittersweet day at I Bike Fresno Headquarters. May is Bike Month has come to an end. But we’re not going to wallow in self pity. We’re gonna stay fired up about biking year round. What’s our motivation? YOU ARE! You all accomplished an awful lot this May.
- You all said you would ride 283,439 miles in month of May.
- You actually rode 237,068 miles. That’s more than 93,000 miles more than last year’s total.
- We had 1,042 riders.
- Our bike riding replaced 46,721 miles that would normally be made in a car AND we saved almost $10,000 in gas money.
- We biked across the United States 79 times and burned 11.85 MILLION calories together.
- With 364 badge “likes” on Facebook and Twitter, you all created 91,712 impressions through social media about I Bike Fresno and the Million Mile Challenge.
- Our top rider was Jody Cummings. He logged an awesome 2,410 miles.
- We had 75 teams ride in the Million Mile Challenge and CSC - Rubber Soul was the top team with 5,424 miles logged.
- On May 23rd, we rode 5,168 commuting bike miles in the Kaiser Permanente Bike to Work Day Corporate Challenge.
- We had 170 bikes ride in the Mall-to-Mall ride from Manchester Center to the Fulton Mall on city streets.
- 40 community minded bike riders rode to the District 4 meeting about the Gettysburg Bike Lane and more than a hundred emailed their city councilmember in support of the bike lane. And it passed.
- We gave away 31 Days of Prizes and motivated people who never thought they would ride their bike before this year.
- We had a ton of fun!
So while May is Bike Month has come to an end, we hope we’ve inspired you to participate in bike YEAR. We hope you’ve realized how much fun it is to be on your bike and what a great city for biking Fresno has become. And that’s because of you. The more you ride, the more the powers that be will have to support creating infrastructure for it. The more you get your friends to ride with you, the more cars will learn how to share the road with us and create a safe place for biking. The more you get on your bike, the more the people around you will know what you know: BIKING = JOY!!!
Did Bike Month inspire you to look at your bicycle different? Did something cool happen on your bike that you would like to share? Did you ride more miles than you thought you ever possibly could? We would love for you to share it with us. Post your Bike Month Story in the comments below.
I Bike Fresno